Saturday, January 15, 2011

A New Hope

Alright, so I'm not going to say that I am a wise hobby zen kung fu sort of fellow, but here is something I learned this past week or so:

If something isnt looking the way you like, start over.

My last post showed a picture of the green stuff fins that I made for the Leviathan.   One side was thicker than the other.  The ridges from one side to another didn't match up.  They looked bulky, and un-hydrodynamic.  I thought long and hard about how to fix them.  I sanded and sculpted, but nothing really fixed the problems mentioned.  Finally I decided enough was enough.  I needed to try a new method.

What I ended up doing was drilling more wires into the tyranid arm, spaced at even intervals.  These would act as support and as the ridges of the fins.  Then I took regular printer paper that had been dunked in water and then used wood glue to affix it to the wire frame work.  Afterwards, I painted on several coats of wood glue to make a smooth transition from the paper to the copper wire.  Im very happy with the result in comparison to before.  You can see the results below

Also there has been a lot of work on the rider.  Hagar the Horrible is what I have named him.  I have worked on the legs, and just as I feared they are clearly too large.  The feet are almost twice as large as a normal marines.  I plan on sanding them down quite a lot in order to make it look like he doesn't do weekend as a clown at childrens parties.  The thigh armor looks good and is the correct size.  I think I will need to bulk out the chest laterally somehow in order to keep him from looking crazy.  I also want to try putting on his left arm before I decide exactly how much he needs to bulk out. 

I also finished converting some chaos warhounds into Fenrisian Wolves.  They are pretty simple.  I just green stuff over the ear holes, and then put a wire up their butt, and then put on green stuff tails.